Cricut Paper Dolls Teen Scene with a Twist

I adore the Julie Nutting Paper Doll stamps by Prima. What I don’t love is fussy cutting. I just don’t have the patience for it. So, I was determined to use my Paper Dolls Teen Scene cartridge to make a Nutting-esque paper doll. Plus, I needed it larger than the Nutting dolls.

Teen Scene paper doll

The Teen Scene dolls have faces so, the first thing I had to do was to remove those layers. Basically, I just used the shadow as the base. Because I was manipulating the original design, the rest of the layers no longer fit together accurately. But, there’s an easy fix for this. All that has to be done is to lay down the shadow base and size the other layers directly over it until they match up. Obviously, you’ll need to use either Cricut Craft Room or Design Space to achieve this.

The doll I chose was wearing cropped pants but, I wanted her in a skirt. So, I simply drew an easy skirt shape to match the top and added some Tulle for flair and dimension.

For the hair, I used a cardstock with a core so that I could lightly sand it to get the highlights. I think the next time I make one of these, I will use Mohair yarn to make the hair. Mohair is often used for making doll hair so, why not paper dolls too?

I wanted to give her “face” some color and rosy cheeks so, I broke out my craft chalk and used the sponge dauber to apply her “makeup”. Which, by the way, is the only thing I have ever used the craft chalk for.

Her buttons were made by using Tulip Beads in a Bottle. This is a fabric product but, it works great on paper crafts as well.

Nutting dolls are approximately 7.25 inches tall and this one is about 2 inches taller. ..maybe more. I needed her taller to fit on an altered 12×12 scrapbook album.

The Scrapbook Album

It was just an inexpensive album I picked up at a thrift store. Probably Goodwill. Anyway, I didn’t like the colors so, I decided to treat it like a canvas.

Altered Album

I started with several coats of Gesso, then randomly applied blue and grey acrylic paint. I stamped tissue paper using Black StazOn ink and adhered it using Liquitex gloss gel medium. The lace is vintage, another thrift store find, and was adhered the same way. As was the stamped vintage book pages and paper doll. I used the same gel medium to seal everything except the doll (since she is made from acid free papers).

I filled the album with a combination of Project Life Pocket Pages, We R Memory Keepers Page Protectors and their prospective journaling cards. Plus some regular 12×12¬†page protectors with “My Minds Eye” Complete Boy light cardstock.¬† All this was made and given as a gift to my daughter who recently had her first child, a son (my grandson!) named Remy.

I had a lot of fun with this project. I think it helps a lot when you have a person in mind and a color scheme. I am currently working on projects for my niece who is expecting a daughter in January. I missed the deadline for her baby shower (oopsie) but, will be done before the baby comes. I hope.